#460 – internship

April 21st, 2011

#460 – internship

The original page of this comic is for sale!

I’m pleased to say that thanks to everyone who pre-ordered Listen At Home With Octopus Pie, I now have the funds to get the book printed. Thanks so much for your help everyone! I knew we could get this book made fast.

Of course I’m just now breaking even, so pre-ordering your copy will still be a big help! To take advantage of the pre-order (which includes a free signature on standard editions, plus a gift) be sure to order by April 30th.

1. @D_Alfo says:

Hahahahahahahahahah, oh man. Been there.

2. Name says:

Can't wait until I can afford to pre-order! Although by then it might not be a pre-order any more.

3. Kevina says:

Haha, oh noooooo. My first thought after Eve mentioned that she left the NY Times on his desk was that someone would have had to teach him how to read first. I say we find that insidious bugger and draw and quarter 'em.

4. @Minivet says:

Oh, man. I don't know if this was intended, but my first reading of panel 5 was as a reference to the recent NYT articles on the illegal of internships as a source of free scut labor (recent one at http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/opinion/03perli… older one at http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/03/business/03inte… – as in, Olly read about this horrible, abusive practice and thought, "Hey! Free labor!"

• Elliott says:

didn't know about those articles, but i'm pretty sure that's what was intended!

• granulac says:

I hadn't read that particular article, but the NYT has been talking about internships with this concerned tone for a while. It seems like it's on a lot of people's minds right now!

5. Josh says:

Your hand-lettering is already getting clearer and more defined. Way to go.

6. Garfunkel says:

How does a woman Julie's age not know the sorrows of interning? LOOK OUT, WOMAN.

7. Oohhh MAN… SO been staring this one down. I am as of june, 31 frakkin' years and three recessions deep as a Creative Pro, and I have never seen a creative marketplace as toxic as it is not. The NUMBER ONE entry level position for Junior designers, or "production assoiciates" in the current market is … INTERN. And they want expert level skills and 2-5 years experience!

Interning was supposed to be the job you had in the summer break to get some real-world experience. Now it's your first TWO full time jobs out of school. Imagine hitting the street with your shiny new BFA, and working eight to twelve hours a day for NOTHING, then dashing to the 2nd gig at K-mart, McDonalds or the waitress thing, then crawling into your sixth floor walk up in Chelsea you share with three psycho roommates for a shower and a nap before doing it all again the next day, while you carry $150,000 in student loans.

When the Studio has been busy, I am asked by colleagues why I don't take in an intern to pick up some of the load. I won't do it. I won't participate in the brutal exploitation. I'd rather farm out or turn down work than take part in this system.

Run Julie, RUN LIKE HELL!

• Sarah says:

frakkin! Yay BSG love!! <3

• stjason says:

There are internships and internships. You can tell the difference between them really simply: One will pay. I don't mind doing the scut work. Data entry and phones and dealing with customers and even pushing a broom. But if I'm going to spend 4, 5 (8?) hours a day there, I should get something for it…

And yes, I have a few applications out for internships right now. And I have seen those internships asking for a couple of years of experience, too. That is incredible.

• jimmy says:

It's not just BFAs, either. I'm about to graduate from law school staring down the barrel of the same thing. You're a good person for not buying into this evisceration of the minimum wage laws.

• Mel says:

you're telling me. I left the creative/art world a few years back because of this. Even my last place I worked recently, in cooking of all things, had 5 "co-op students" rather than giving the paid people real hours. Oh my god.

• Elle says:

I PAID for my internship. I even choose my masters because they would set it up. The only consolation is that I'm actually being trained to use equipment and I'm not doing grunt labor.

• granulac says:

great post!

8. Hoo-ya says:

STRETCHY PUPILS!

9. Bruce the Great says:

Panel 4 Eve so cute!

10. Sebastian says:

I didn't see this coming either! You've done it again.

11. lil says:

"It might lead to something." Oh Julie, Ollie would choose YOU to pull this on.

12. Damien Walder says:

Gah…where did I hide my credit card? Pre-order calling my name…
    Hey – were the buddies who Will let persish in a kind of internship as well?
    Things are looking worse and worse for Julie!

13. matt w says:

Wow. Olly is officially the most evil character in webcomics.

14. Arkadi says:

Oh, for… Just how OLD is Julie? How can she be so naïve?????

15. Leo says:

if its anything like my internship at a skateboarding company, it'll involve 12 hour days plus 3 hours driving, and no job once its done. Internships are scams.

16. Mayday says:

Julie you poor sweet soul :'D

17. chris says:

Ahaha, I laughed out loud. Internships: great on paper, not so much in practice.

18. internship_union says:

Internships like that one are for chumps. And for scabs. Please, Julie, tell that guy to put his slave labor up his organic a-hole!

19. Professional Mole says:

"Who told Olly what an intern is?" GOLD! RIGHT HERE!

20. joey says:

soo excited about your second book! i hope the printing goes well

21. Patricia says:

I'm really hoping this arc ends with Ollie getting a beatdown. I've seen kids sewing shoes in factories get more benefits than Ollie's Organix employees.