#466 – fleeting spring

May 11th, 2011

#466 – fleeting spring

This concludes the internship arc! Hope you liked it.

I’ve been working on a freelance animation job lately, so comic updates are coming along slower than usual. Hopefully I’ll get in a rhythm with it soon. I really enjoy animation and doing both has been kind of nice, though time-consuming.

Thanks to everyone who came out to TCAF and made it the best one yet! If I seemed tired it’s because I totally was. But you folks are amazing, and I’d go to Toronto every weekend if I could.

1. Emily says:

Is the animation project something you'll be able to share when it's done?

Nice seeing you at TCAF, hope the Cadbury's eggs weren't too melted for you!

• granulac says:

I'll be airing on TV, so yes!

It was great seeing you too, and thanks for the gifts! as Kate put it, "egg dreams come true".

• Emily says:

Yay! Wasn't sure if it was the kind of job where you do it and it goes away and your name isn't really on it or what. Very exciting though!

Ha, it was all worth it for her look of utter confusion when I pulled the egg out of my bag. :)

2. Dell says:

Ha! Awesome. :)

3. Andrew says:

…goddammit Eve! Road to hell! Good intentions! Paving! What have you learned about trying to teach valuable life lessons to slackers and hippies?

• Jeff says:

Road to hell? No way! that’s just corporatist boogey-man tales.

Most of those storefronts will be open again in a month or few. The biz or bldg owners may not be making as much – but local unemployment will be a couple points lower and there’ll be more money flowing around the neighborhood. Short term pain = long term gain. Cite = http://keizai.soka.ac.jp/assets/pdf/dp/2009_01.pdf

• ubun7u43v3r says:

You learned that a national economy built on slave labor would eventually collapse without said slave labor? Just a hypothesis as it seems like many businesses seem unable to function without free or dirt cheap labor.

4. Rob_S says:

I'm getting a Grapes of Wrath/Christina's World kind of take on that last visual. Nice.

5. norm says:

I gotta admit I feel a lot like Eve in the last panel these days …

6. kazoo says:

oh wow. am i the only one who was oblivious and didn't realize that was marigold in every comic she's shown up in with her hair cut(the arc aside, obviously)?

7. Best overblown consequences of innocuous acts EVER. XD

• bradydale says:

Hah, yeah!

The larger point is pretty solid, tho.

OK, I'm putting my own interpretation on here… but when the bankers and the landlords are able to decide the base cost to even keep the doors open of a business and they are always going to gouge as much as they can out of everyone, how can fun businesses really survive?

Coffee shop owners and record store owners are not, by and large, robber barons. Their margins suck.

8. alichemy says:

I keep imagining a leany Statue of Liberty in the background with Eve yelling "You maniacs! Damn you all to hell!"

9. jTh says:

Can’t… get… jaw… off… floor…

10. Eric says:

Meredith, I see some real progress in the hand-lettering! I love how OP is at once a fertile ground of experimentation for you to explore techniques/styles and also consistently one of my favorite comics. Kudos!

• @CLRgrrl says:

I second this about the hand-lettering!

• shoeboxjeddy says:

I third it. I copped to not loving it off the bat, but expected it would get much better. This turnaround is pretty great, I see it as an improvement now. Good job, great comic, hopefully the moral of this arc isn't too hard on your personal pet projects.

11. Banner says:

And just like that, everything she enjoyed had been destroyed…seriously, this is like a Twilight Zone ending. It's great!

12. Alain says:

Oh, I love those birds, animated by their tiny shapes, flying across the big, empty, bleak future up ahead.

13. Louis says:

Is it wrong that I think Eve's "despair face" in panel 9 is cute?

14. Aves Project Ideas says:

This has absolutely nothing to do with today's comic, but years later, thinking of the crudely drawn dog proclaiming Olly's to be "the fukken shit" still makes me chuckle without fail.

15. I agree about the lettering – It looks way more clean and consistent than just a couple weeks ago! Not that it looked bad before, just a wee bit shaky.

And yeah TCAF was a blast! I was that weird guy with a beard and troll-horns on who felt like an asshole for not being able to buy anything. x3 I was just happy to meet one of my favorite comic artists though :O

• Andrew R. says:

Don't worry dude. I bought the new book AND pre-ordered (for myself :p) too cover for your empty pockets.

P.S.: You guys should check out Eff-Nocka's [the afro-stoner] origin's at NockForce.com, it's by Meredith's friend, Ian Jones Quartey (of RPG-World)!

16. chep says:

What is that mysterious ball of floating hair in the distance?

17. sunny says:

NOT THE RECORD STORE
    EVE WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
    :'(

18. Will says:

Not Cutesy's! Eve, you @#$% socialist monster!!!

19. Adam says:

Wait, I'm confused. Are you saying unpaid jobs are a good thing?

• Louis says:

Perhaps its more that the businesses relied so heavily on unpaid labor that the sudden disappearance of interns caused a "mass extinction".

20. @CLRgrrl says:

This is undistilled Octopus Pie right here. I could hear strings playing in my head.

21. fizzgig says:

American Capitalism only functions with slave labor?

• Dischord says:

A call to arms?

• tudza says:

My thoughts exactly. The owners must have been making some money or they'd have closed way before this. If it were me, I'd stand in the middle of the street and yell, "You are all a bunch of thieving bastards!"

22. Leau says:

Ha ha, wait… everyone she knew was working unpaid jobs? How can they afford to live in New York City? I’ve never figured out how to cook and eat “this will look great on your resume!”

Eve collapsing in the street under the weight of her revelation is pretty great though lol

23. Jon says:

Is the last panel a nod to "Christina's World"?

• Rob_S says:

I caught that earlier ^. I like to think Meredith is acknowledging some of her SVA art history credits.

24. StephenM3 says:

Ah, the short, fun story arc about how Eve brought down western civilization.

25. Scott Bieser says:

Then they all started their own web-comics and made themselves rich.

26. Sublorange says:

Never has the title "Apocalypse Waitress" been a more fitting title for Eve Ning.

NNNNOOOOO, nnnnoooooo!!!

28. Ian says:

YOU MANIACS

29. JH Wasserman says:

There are a whole lot of empty storefronts out there in the malls, city streets, and suburban highways. It's sad considering the many jobs lost due to that.

30. Loch says:

Humm… Eve brought about the brace down of society… I did not see that coming.

31. Mental Mouse says:

Intern’s Strike Paralyzes New York City!

32. Ron says:

-=] "I" [=- will intern to keep that record store open!

33. Marc says:

"Pretty soon we're all going to have to start demanding what we're worth." I officially proclaim this to be the mantra of our generation. Not that I'm being a pretentious bastard or anything… (looks around self-consciously)

• On one hand, I'm down with that mantra. On the other hand, I'm secretly concerned that unpaid intern is exactly what we're worth, and I don't want that information becoming public knowledge.

34. Angie says:

Seems a bit unfair and sad that the people who create the things we love are often not monetarily compensated for their work. :(

35. @Dope_Danny says:

thats pretty much what happened to all the little 'indie stores' in the nearby city the moment a big modern mall opened in the heart of it and hired out to all them interns.

Damn citys a ghost town now and folks only go for the mall.

36. nightgaunt49 says:

Love the imagery in direct contradiction to the words.

37. Shras says:

That's pretty bad if all those places were basically run by interns…how does everyone pay for their bills?!