#134 – count to ten

April 18th, 2008

#134 – count to ten

1. K.C. Adama says:

Oooh, point to Hanna!

The look on Eve's face is reminiscent of a boy who flaunts his Jewish heritage only to realize he never had a Bar Mitzvah.

2. danineteen says:

Good point, Adama!

But I think I'd have to side with Eve on this one.

3. Almost Literally says:

I agree with Hanna and Adama. Not saying that the arcade was a good or bad idea, but that people who act so proud of their heritage and flaunt it, when they really have no idea what they are talking are annoying. Sorry Eve.

4. walnut49 says:

On an unrelated note, I like the new hat.

5. Trigger says:

Fun fact: most kids who hang out in arcades are either asian or black, I’m pretty much the only white guy who frequents my local place.

6. Sarah says:

These comics get more brilliant each and every time I re-read them! It's crazy, I actually feel like I understand them better as I get older–I just discovered them a year ago, I think. Keep writing! I can't wait for the next update!

7. Eduardo says:

I don't necessarily agree with the Hanna party on this one.

To know about a culture in order to want to preserve it is mediocre in my opinion.

Yes, to walk without bases is mediocre, but it's worse to be afraid to step forward.

I don't need to learn about Tibet in order to disagree of its situation.

8. lduke says:

Eduardo, the point is Eve is of Asian descent (presumably Chinese), her complaints are unjustified because she seems to know as much about her OWN culture as the white kids she is disparaging.

• Tal says:

while I do find the joke to be funny, I personally don't think "knowing a culture" is dependent solely upon how much of the language you speak. Yes, knowing the language certainly is a part of it, but knowing about certain customs and social interactions as well as the history that help define a culture. I do think Eve's "blemish on the face of Chinatown" comment is a little harsh, though.

9. 2nd Gen Ho says:

If you can count to 10 in Chinese you can count to 99!

Is Eve 2nd generation or 3rd?

10. Jenny says:

She's 2nd generation I think because when her Dad appeared in an earlier strip his English wasn't fluent.

On this issue I'm with Eve, she should have an opportunity to explore her heritage at some point. If she doesn't it's not that she will have a cultural vacuum but she will have the homogeneity of anglo-american culture.

• gangler says:

cultural heritage don't mean shit. It's something people rely on to make themselves feel like they're special when they don't actually have anything interesting about themselves. I've never understood how the place your grandparents used to live is in any way relevant to who you are now.

Also, maybe the fucking chinese just want a fucking arcade. What, does everything in chinatown have to look like a bad chinese stereotype? I'm sure they play videogames too.

11. Ken says: