#655 – guess you don’t know me

April 7th, 2014

#655 – guess you don’t know me

We’ve passed the halfway mark on pre-orders for the new book, Octopus Pie: Dead Forever! Thanks to everyone who’s ordered so far.

If you haven’t, please help fund the next book by ordering it before April 15th! Octopus Pie books are entirely funded by pre-order sales. I will sign your book for free, and you can get a special sketched-in edition as well! Store page is here.

1. Spooky says:

darn those breakups that lead to existential crises

• S.A. says:

Oh my god, it's The Iceman Cometh all over again. I mean, not everyone bunched into a bar kind of thing, but that someone becomes sober from having their hopes and dreams dashed.

I just hope that this story arc ends in joyous celebration, or some return to less depression, instead of someone totally losing it.

• gc. says:

Puget Sean: "By God, there's no hope! I'll never be a success in the grandstand – or anywhere else! Life is too much for me!"

2. Yotomoe says:

Or maybe the stoner was inside of you all along.

3. Fluttershy4Prez says:

I love the flag in the background of the real stoner speech. That's just perfect…

4. supersparkplug says:

Something in her…
    Wait, does that mean she's pregnant?! :O

5. C.W. Roden (esq) says:

Poor girl.

6. StephenM3 says:

Interesting that in this context, Hanna's sobriety is deeply disturbing.

7. TRA says:

[Joke follows]: But…But…if Hanna goes clean body…who will be my stoner-hero in octopus pie? *teardrops* :D

8. Ashley says:

This is very interesting. So all this time her acting so crazy and such was just Natural-Hannah. Her usual fun, life-loving side we've seen this whole time was just the Chemically-Altered persona of her.
    I had a boyfriend like that once: completely different when not-high so we always made sure he had pot at the ready. It's a harsh way to live

• Mike says:

Or this side of Hannah is more of a result of a breakup and then her inability to cope the way she normally would. She's been deprived of her worldly pleasures. If you normally at chocolate to deal with a breakup and then it just suddenly didn't do it for you you'd probably be just as irritated.

• LHB says:

Tell me about it.

9. Ira says:

Eve's really channelling her mom there.

10. Jayess says:

Hannah may be operating under a constant state of knurd-enness. Maybe that's why she's always gotta be high.

11. kamesen says:

To be fair, it seems like Hanna's been stressed out for weeks too. Before, it seemed like she got high simply for the enjoyment of it. But getting high in order to try and deal with stress/problems.. often has the reverse effect.

I'm interested to see what she does next. ..Also, love the oven mitt on one hand in the last panel.

12. thetic says:

Hanna shrugging with one oven mitt on is the funniest image.

13. TrueVCU says:

First, I imagine the strains of America the Beautiful playing over panel 3 (Eve's mom would be so proud!)

Second, I think this is as close as Hannah has yet come to an actual, honest to God psychic break

14. Anotherfellow says:

Wait, has she been "sober" since that vacation day she went to the museum? That's though.

15. Amelia says:

Oh, Eve. Your mother would be so proud.

And Hanna with the one one oven mitt and the crazy-eyed shrug seems to sum up this arc so far, really.

16. Stacy says:

I'm curious about what Will has been up to all this time. I enjoyed the tension between he and Eve.

17. DrDenorax says:

That last panel shrug sure does remind me of someone….

18. Ron says:

I don't understand Hanna but I like her.

19. Robert says:

Hey, anybody remember that song by the Fugs, "I Couldn't Get High"?

20. Sarah says:

Seeing Hanna mention that statement in the next to last panel makes me wonder if
    Marek always wanted kids.

Maybe she felt like the relationship was becoming less about mutual understanding; leaning more towards a possible outcome alien to how she normally lives her life.

I dunno, this part really hits home. My boyfriend has always (in some form or another) brought up wanting kids. Not so much because he felt he needed them, more-so because of family tradition. I'm not a coward in admitting that I'm selfish about my personal life, and I just do not want children in it.

• Josh says:

If anything's selfish in that context, it's having kids. "Hey, come suffer with me, person who does not yet exist! We'll have a blast, except we won't, because life is terrible." I mean, I never thought I wanted kids and then I had one and it was way better than I thought it was gonna be, but seriously, the hell with people that try to make you feel like there's something wrong with not having/wanting kids. The hell with them. Eat their flesh, I say.

• Celeste says:

"Selfish" is having kids just because other people before you did and not because you want them.

21. Aris says:

Ok, now Hanna is officially freaking me out…

22. Adam says:

I've never seen an image sum up the essence of the word "WELP!" as succinctly as that last panel.

23. Shawn says:

That last panel is a smiling shrug of the crazy people and it seriously scares me for what Hannah’s going to do next.

• StephenM3 says:

Yeah, that's definitely the hopeless smile of someone who's losing the coping process and becoming untethered. I hope she finds something to help her keep grounded.

24. Ashanti says:

So the title of this is a text my crush sent me, so this comic hurts on like multiple levels.
    T_T
    I'm so sorry Hannah, and for you as well Eve. ♥

25. Neil says:

What about that blue painting, Hannah?

26. jon says:

… Wasn't her identity as a stoner part of the reason Hannah broke up with Marek?

Time to start asking herself some tough questions, methinks.

27. Josh says:

Hanna is really squandering this opportunity to point out that Eve is using the "no true Scotsman" fallacy.