#579 – the met

February 11th, 2013

#579 – the met

Hey dudes, I know comics have been coming along slow, but that’s because I’m working on something ambitious and it will be worth the wait, in this troper’s opinion!!

1. Rolo says:

Cool lady makeouts book club? Sign me up!

2. jeff says:

I'm confused, was Hanna making a joke, or does she not realize there's only like two little public galleries on the third floor?

Or does she know about a secret stoner wing?!

3. Fady says:

You wrote it so that people would read it "Cool ladies makeouts" "book club" instead of "Cool ladies" "makeouts book club" on PURPOSE

4. Mike says:

Hanna is not a fan of old art I see.

I live in Philadelphia and all the modern art is on higher floors. Always noticed a trend in old art, especially medieval and renaissance, where 95% of the art focuses on Jesus. Adult Jesus, Baby Jesus, Mother Mary and Jesus, Jesus dying, Jesus doing miracles, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus…

• jeff says:

At the met the modern art is on the first and second floors (and the roof garden).

• wykstrad says:

Don't tell any art historians that; they'll be crushed that they didn't notice it.

• @MsDalfo says:

Yeah, it's called commissioned religious art. ;) What wykstrad said.

Makes it really difficult to memorize artists and titles in Medieval to Renaissance art history courses. You get very good at making flash cards.

• jon says:

Jesus with monkey playing cymbals.

• Alison says:

Clearly SOMEbody hasn't spent enough time in the ancient art sections :P
      Sorry I'm a Classicist, I had to say something.

• Mike says:

Oh don't get me wrong, I love art whether it be from ancient to today. I just think it's funny how religious everything was back then. It makes sense but still….you'd think they would have gotten tired of 'the jesus' after a while….

I'm going to burn in hell aren't I?

• Ava says:

I think her point was to go back further in time…for example, there's not a lot of Jesus-centric art in the BC/BCE timeframe. ;-)

Or in most nonwestern art, for that matter…silly Eurocentricism.

5. JennyB says:

Is it Hanna saying/thinking that last line, though? I have a hunch of an upcoming flashback.

6. Can I just say how cool it that we're actually getting a completely Hanna-centric story? I was flipping through both Octopus Pie books last night trying to find another, but couldn't find any. We've had side stories with Will and Park and other characters before, but it seems like Hanna is always the driving comic relief, or the center of a subplot. Nice to see her take center stage for once.

7. Kyle H. says:

"What if I waste my time enjoying something BAD?"

Is it cool to like stupid things non-ironically yet? Because Rocky IV is, just, The Best Thing.

• Bryce says:

It's always been cool to like stupid things non-ironically. Heck, I'm gonna go see the new Die Hard movie. John McClane is pretty much a zombie protagonist; he takes whatever you throw at him and only stopped by destruction of the head.

8. fishang1 says:

Dammit, I had this great hypothesis about the Met being where the original beef between Hanna and Will went down, based on the flashback at the start of the Larry arc where Hanna is standing by a column, only to realize that the two columns look nothing alike. That's what I get for reading a comic about New York without ever having been to New York.

9. @buckybone says:

That's funny, I've always thought the best things were from fourth floor.

10. Natalia says:

oooh i guess the cool lady make out thing is referencing the book they were talking about earler?