#578 – dude don’t even

February 7th, 2013

#578 – dude don’t even

1. Sofía says:

It feels like if Hanna was breaking the 4th wall at the last panel.

2. My god, it's like Hanna has accusations towards me with that staring going on in the last panel. I don't know what I did, but I'm hecka sorry.

3. @machallboyd says:

Man, that's a high counter.

4. kev says:

I really like Hanna's coat and jacket combo, just sayin.

5. JennyB says:

Yay, more familiar faces!

6. Jack C says:

Hannah is da bes.
    I like how you've been drawing the peeps lately.

7. I'm so bad at following plots. When did Hanna become a workaholic? Has she always been?

• @enlore says:

yeah basically. or we're just being introduced to that notion in a solid way.

on a related note, i love incomplete narrative. this comic does it really well.

• Steve B. says:

I think it was probably a natural progression that brought her to this state. She started out as a care-free stoner who created a small business that would be compatible with her lifestyle. Then, as her friends began to get older and cut back on their lazy weed time, Hanna filled the void they left by throwing herself deeper into her work.

Flash forward to the present: almost none of Hanna's friends share her lifestyle and her life is almost entirely centered around her bakery business. That's why this arc started with Hanna trying to find a friend to get high with, but finding them all too busy with adult shit to join her. They've moved on. Her friends have the boring lifestyles of adults now, and all Hanna really has left to do is her business.

I think this is actually a pretty poignant arc. I think everyone has a friend like Hanna when they're growing up. A lot of people like her wind up leaving their aging social circles for younger crowds. It'll be interesting to see how Hanna deals with her dilemma.

• Phasma Felis says:

I'd noticed this years ago. In a comic where practically every character is stuck in some dead-end retail or service job, wacky stoner Hanna is…a hard-driving, successful small business owner with resellers and business contacts all over the city. As far back as the RenFaire arc she was aggressively looking for new markets.

She wasn't always putting quite so much time into it, but she's always been the most responsible and businesslike one in the whole crew. Which is SUPER WEIRD.

Yikes, Hanna's getting desperate.

9. wykstrad says:

Wait, so Hannah's getting a job with a coffeeshop? Did we hear about this before?

Also, how do people listen to podcasts while working? I can't even listen to music with lyrics without doubling the time it takes me to finish something.

• Ashkey says:

More likely that she's just becoming their cupcake supplier and not a 9 to 5 worker there. Just like how she supplies baked goods to Olly's Organics.

Thus they had a meeting arranged (probably to go over what they need made and how much) and not an intervier

10. voxboxcomics says:

Is it the same insane number as me?

11. Marvin Choi says:

should I keep staring into Hanna's eyes

12. Andrew says:

STOP BEING SO DEFENSIVE HANNA

13. koerner says:

Poor hanna… :( She used to be so sweet and carefree

14. notmarkflynn says:

Don is better at punches than at managing lines.

15. I too listen to a lot of podcasts.

16. Kate says:

Return of the Guild! :D Are they discussing Downton Abbey in the first panel?

I'm enjoying the running theme of Hanna being tiny (and the "aw" reaction to her podcasts comment -aw, podcasts? Tell us, what's it like to be you??)

17. cdotsq says:

You go Hanna, Podcasts are culture,RadioLab is life!

18. RenBussell says:

Seriously, I don't know what to do with myself when I get a week off.

19. Alex says:

Well do you, reader? DO YOU!?

20. asoc says:

I listen to kevin Smith podcasts everyday, therefore I am the most cultured being on the planet!!

21. Leila says:

Hahaha! I just noticed all the pissed-off customers in the last panel, waiting for their coffee while the baristas chat about life. :D

I worked in a coffeehouse in NOLA for 5 years, so this brings back happy memories for me.

22. I love how these counters are so high. I'm sure there's some kind of metaphor in this somewhere, but I'm not smart enough to figure it out…

23. Bryy says:

Of course Hanna is a podcastholic.

24. Nicodemus says:

You ever feel like the HBO show Girls is ripping off Octopus Pie? I do. And I love it because now I have two awesome shows to watch. This one and the HBO one.